[Python-Dev] ElementTree in stdlib

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Dec 13 14:28:51 CET 2005

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Some questions:
>
> * Are you going to contribute cElementTree as well ?

yes, but there are some build issues we need to sort out first (both pyexpat
and cET link to their own copies of expat)

we also need to figure out how to import the bundled version; should it be
cElementTree, xml.etree.cElementTree, or just xml.etree.ElementTree
(which would then fallback on the Python version if cElementTree isn't
built) ?

> * What was the motivation to not include the whole ElementTree
>  package ?

this is a perfect time to get rid of some little-used stuff.  if there's enough user
demand, we can always add a few more modules before 2.5 goes out of the
door...

> * I'm missing the usual "Licensed to PSF under a Contributor Agreement."
>  in the copyright notices of the files:
>
>  http://www.python.org/psf/contrib.html
>
>  I assume that you'll add these, right ?

will fix.

> * How should users that want to use the latest and greatest
>  (more recent) distribution directly from your site go about in
>  their apps ? Using from...as contructs ?

from-import or import-as works fine

</F>