[Python-Dev] should I really have to install Python before Ican build it ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Dec 12 20:43:48 CET 2005

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> The C files are checked into subversion.  Perhaps there is some
> problem with the timestamps that causes the Makefile to try to rebuild
> them anyway?  I have a modern Python and I've been doing a fair amount
> of development on these files; as a result, I haven't noticed a
> problem.

ah, of course.  subversion sets the timestamp to the checkout time for each
file, so things may or may not work after a fresh checkout.

however, adsl_c does use the installed python, rather than the local version:

    #! /usr/bin/env python
    """Generate C code from an ASDL description."""

maybe the right thing here would be to change this to

    #!./python
    """Generate C code from an ASDL description."""

and only run the script if ./python has been built ?

</F>