[Python-Dev] ElementTree - Why not part of the core? (fwd)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 12 07:40:45 CET 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Exactly.  But I'm not sure "branch" is really accurate here; it's more like
> "snapshot".  Stable releases are added to the "vendor" tree, and relevant
> files are are then copied to the appropriate location in the release tree.

In practice, it will be a branch - unless you want to completely rule
out modifications (which you didn't).

>>The other issue is, of course, the question whose job it is to actually
>>perform the updates. Would you expect to do that yourself, or would
>>you expect somebody else does that?
>

> I can deal with this.

Sounds good.

> Since all the relevant module names start with "Element", putting it directly
> under xml wouldn't be too bad.  But an xml subpackage is better, and prior
> art says "etree".

So etree it is.

> I think that limiting this to ElementTree, ElementPath, and perhaps Element-
> Include would be a good start.

Ok.

> And maybe PEP 291 could be updated to cover both compatibility with older
> Python versions and other compatibility issues.

So what would be the minimum Python version you keep compatibility with?

> (one way to do this would be to add an "function pointer table" to pyexpat
> that contains pointers to selected portions of the expat API, and then add
> an indirection level to cElementTree)

Ok, this sounds like a larger piece of work.

> Just say "go", and I'll start working on this.

Not sure if it is me who should say that; as nobody else
has spoken against it: go.

Regards,
Martin