[Python-Dev] ElementTree - Why not part of the core? (fwd)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 8 23:47:37 CET 2005

At 04:45 PM 12/8/2005 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I think we need both.  We need the mechanism and repositories, although
>non necessarily one repository.  Phillip Eby and others seem to be making
>wonderful progress on the mechanism.

And FYI, it does not depend on a single repository.  TurboGears, for
example, depends on a number of packages that are not distributed on PyPI,
or which lack a setup script.  A packager can simply publish a page of
usable download links (or even Subversion URLs) in order to participate.

Of course, it's easier if packages are linked from PyPI, and you can avoid
naming collisions that way, but the basic requirements for a "repository"
can actually be met with nothing more than an Apache directory index.