[Python-Dev] Tracker anonymity

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:21:30 CET 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> In c.l.py Paul Rubin wrote:
>
>     Paul> In the old days, it was possible to post stuff to Python's
>     Paul> sourceforge pages without logging in.  That was turned off for
>     Paul> various reasons that weren't bogus, but that didn't strike me as
>     Paul> overwhelmingly compelling.  Maybe that could be revisited, at
>     Paul> least for the category of documentation bugs and patches.
>
> Any thoughts about maybe relaxing the login restriction?  I know we had
> problems with anonymous submissions in the past (mostly inability to contact
> the requester for more info I think), but perhaps that downside is less
> important than the perception some people have that logging in is a barrier
> to submission.
>
> Try it for a few months and see?

If the submitter is anonymous, not only can we not follow up with any
questions, neither does the submitter get notified of status changes on their
tracker.

IMO, allowing anonymous access will lead to people getting ticked that their
bug reports were closed "not enough information" or "works for me" and they
weren't notified about it.

Then again, there are some genuinely simple reports (especially with docs),
where the overhead of having to log in (or worse, create a SF account) means
the problem doesn't get reported, and hence, doesn't get fixed.

Can we put a warning on the anonymous submission page pointing out the
problems with using it for non-trivial bug reports?

Cheers,
Nick.