[Python-Dev] svn problem - can't get log info for a specific revision

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 5 23:23:38 CET 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Okay, I got it.  I was asking for that revision on the release24-maint
> branch, but it was actually applied to the trunk.  It shows up now in the
> maintenance branch, but still has to be queried for on the trunk.

My subversion (1.2.3) gives me a slightly more legible output:

svn: File not found: revision 36760, path '/python/branches/release24-maint'

It complains that, in revision 36760, there was no release24-main
directory, so it can't know what the history is. I would consider it
a bug: it could know that release24-maint was a copy of trunk
which was made after 36760, so it could conclude I meant to
perform the same operation on trunk, then.

Anyway, to get this location-independent (and even without
a working copy), do

svn log http://svn.python.org/projects --verbose -r 36760

This works because revisions are repository revisions, so
the version number uniquely identifies the change in the
repository. Of course, this also builds on the knowledge
that http://svn.python.org/projects is the same as
svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org (but more easy to type).

Regards,
Martin