[Python-Dev] Proof of the pudding: str.partition()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 31 06:52:47 CEST 2005

"Shane Hathaway" <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote in message
news:4314E51B.1050507 at hathawaymix.org...
> You can do both: make partition() return a sequence with attributes,
> similar to os.stat().  However, I would call the attributes "before",
> "sep", and "after".

One could see that as a special-case back-compatibility kludge that maybe
should disappear in 3.0.  My impression is that the attributes were added
precisely because unpacking several related attributes into several
disconnected vars was found to be often awkward.  The sequencing is
arbitrary and one often needs less that all attributes.

Terry J. Reedy