[Python-Dev] partition() (was: Remove str.find in 3.0?)

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Aug 30 17:55:28 CEST 2005

Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:

> Shane Hathaway a écrit :
>>Are you sure?  I would instead expect to find a .partition method on a
>>regexp object:
>>
>>  head, sep, tail = re.compile(sep+'.'*offset).partition(some_str)
>

> Well, to be consistent with current re module, it would be better to
> follow Antoine's suggestion :
>
> head, sep, tail = re.partition(re.compile(sep+'.'*offset), some_str)

Actually, consistency with the current re module requires new methods to
be added in *both* places.  Apparently Python believes TMTOWTDI is the
right practice here. ;-)  See search, match, split, findall, finditer,
sub, and subn:

http://docs.python.org/lib/node114.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/re-objects.html

Shane