[Python-Dev] partition() (was: Remove str.find in 3.0?)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:49:48 CEST 2005

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) wrote:
> Of course, if I (or someone else) can't come up with an obviously better
> name, partition() will win by default. I don't think it's a *bad* name -
> just don't think it's a particularly *obvious* name.

What about simply "str.parts" and "str.rparts"? That is, rather than splitting
the string on a separator, we are breaking it into parts - the part before the
separator, the separator itself, and the part after the separator. Same
concept as 'partition', just a shorter method name.

Another option would be simply "str.part()" and "str.rpart()". Then you could
think of it as an abbreviation of either 'partition' or 'parts' depending on
your inclination.

> I think that one of the things I have against it is that most times I
> type it, I get a typo. If this function is accepted, I think it will
> (and should!) become one of the most used string functions around. As
> such, the name should be *very* easy to type.

I've been typing 'partition' a lot lately at work, and Tim's right - typing
this correctly is harder than you might think. It is very easy to only type
the 'ti' in the middle once, so that you end up with 'partion'.

Cheers,
Nick.