[Python-Dev] partition()

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Aug 30 09:54:46 CEST 2005

"Delaney, Timothy (Tim)" <tdelaney at avaya.com> writes:

> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>> +1 for partition().
>
> Looks like I'm getting seriously outvoted here ... Still, as I said I
> don't think the name is overly important until the idea has been
> accepted anyway. How long did we go with people in favour of "resource
> manager" until "context manager" came up?

Certainly no longer than until I got up the morning after the
discussion started :)

partition() works for me.  It's not perfect, but it'll do.  The idea
works for me rather more; it even simplifies the

if s.startswith(prefix):
    t = s[len(prefix):]

idiom I occasionally wince at.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Gullible editorial staff continues to post links to any and all
  articles that vaguely criticize Linux in any way.