[Python-Dev] Remove str.find in 3.0?

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 30 02:05:03 CEST 2005

[Kay Schluehr]
>> The discourse about Python3000 has shrunken from the expectation
>> of the "next big thing" into a depressive rhetorics of feature
>> elimination. The language doesn't seem to become deeper, smaller
>> and more powerfull but just smaller.

[Guido]
> There is much focus on removing things, because we want to be able
> to add new stuff but we don't want the language to grow.

ISTM that a major reason that the Python 3.0 discussion seems
focused more on removal than addition is that a lot of
addition can be (and is being) done in Python 2.x.  This is a
huge benefit, of course, since people can start doing things
the "new and improved" way in 2.x, even though it's not until
3.0 that the "old and evil" ;) way is actually removed.

Removal of map/filter/reduce is an example - there isn't
discussion about addition of new features, because list
comps/gen expressions are already here...

=Tony.Meyer