[Python-Dev] Remove str.find in 3.0?

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:42:48 CEST 2005

On 8/27/05, Kay Schluehr <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> wrote:
> The discourse about Python3000 has shrunken from the expectation of the
> "next big thing" into a depressive rhetorics of feature elimination.
> The language doesn't seem to become deeper, smaller and more powerfull
> but just smaller.

I understand how your perception reading python-dev would make you
think that, but it's not true.

There is much focus on removing things, because we want to be able to
add new stuff but we don't want the language to grow. Python-dev is
(correctly) very focused on the status quo and the near future, so
discussions on what can be removed without hurting are valuable here.

Discussions on what to add should probably happen elsewhere, since the
proposals tend to range from genius to insane (sometimes within one
proposal :-) and the discussion tends to become even more rampant than
the discussions about changes in 2.5.