[Python-Dev] test_bz2 on Python 2.4.1

A.B., Khalid abkhd at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:18:49 CEST 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:

>>#--------------------------- Python 2.5a0 from CVS -----------------#
>># Result: passes
>>$ /g/projs/py25/python/dist/src/MinGW/python testbz2.py
>>

>>#--------------------------- Python 2.4.1 from CVS -----------------#
>># Result: fails
>>$ /g/projs/py24/python/dist/src/MinGW/python testbz2.py
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "testbz2.py", line 9, in ?
>>     lines = bz2f.readlines()
>>RuntimeError: wrong sequence of bz2 library commands used
>
>I don't understand this. The sources for the bz2 modules are exactly equal
>in both branches.

I know. Even the tests are equal. I didn't say that these files are to
blame, I just said that the test is failing in Python 2.4.1 on Windows.

>How do you check out the 2.4.1 from CVS?

Well, I've been updating Python from CVS from more than a year now and I
doubt that this is the problem. After all, Python 2.3.5 is passing the
regrtests, and last time I checked, so is Python 2.5a0. Python 2.4.1 was
also passing all the regtests until recently (not sure exatcly when, but it
could be about a month ago). But anyway, here is how I update my copy of
Python 2.4 from CVS. Roughly,

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python login
[Enter]
cvs -z7 -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python update -dP
-r release24-maint python

And it is, more or less, the same way I check out other branches.

I will download the Python 2.4.1 source archieve and to build it to see what
happens. I'll report back when I am done.

Regards,
Khalid