[Python-Dev] Bare except clauses in PEP 348

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Thu Aug 25 16:13:40 CEST 2005

Michael Chermside wrote:
> Raymond writes:
>
>>Efforts to improve Py3.0 have spilled
>>over into breaking Py2.x code with no compensating benefits. [...]
>>We don't have to wreck 2.x in order to make 3.0 better.
>

> I think you're overstating things a bit here.

There is an important point, though.  Recently I read complaints about
the lack of backward compatibility in Python on the fedora-list (mailing
list for users of Fedora Core).  Somebody asked what language he should
learn and people answered, don't learn Python because it changes too
often in backward incompatible ways.  They even suggested using that
other P language because that was much more backward compatible.

Check out the thread starting at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-August/msg01682.html .

--
Sjoerd Mullender