[Python-Dev] Bare except clauses in PEP 348

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 24 09:07:58 CEST 2005

> As for the rest, I'm not as sure and it would be helpful to get
> thoughts
> from others on this one.  My sense is that blocking the clause from
> appearing in the middle is treating the symptom and not the disease.

+1

It would be better to prohibit bare except entirely (well, presumably
at some point in the future with appropriate warnings at the moment)
than change its semantics.  I agree that its intuitive meaning is "if
anything is thrown", not, "if a non-programmer-error exception is
thrown," but I'm not sure if that's even important.  The point is
that it has existing well defined semantics; changing them just seems
unnecessary to the aims of the rewrite and confusing to existing
Python programmers.

I've written plenty of code with bare excepts and they all intended
to catch *any* exception, usually in a user interface where I wanted
to return to the main loop on programmer error not abort the entire
program.  I don't relish the thought of going back and changing
existing code, and I imagine there are few who do.

My 2 cents,
Niko