[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] python/dist/src setup.py, 1.219, 1.220

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 23 23:13:42 CEST 2005

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> But we still have to get the code back to ANSI compliance.
> Do you have an ANSI-strict option with your compiler?

Please don't call this "ANSI compliant". ANSI does many more
thinks that writing C standards, and, in the specific case,
the code *is* ANSI compliant as it stands - it just doesn't
comply to C89. It complies to ISO C 99, which (I believe)
is also an U.S. American national (ANSI) standard.

gcc does have an option to force c89 compliance, but there
is a good chance that Python stops compiling with option:
on many systems, essential system headers fail to comply
with C89 (in addition, activating that mode also makes many
extensions unavailable).

Regards,
Martin