[Python-Dev] Admin access using svn+ssh

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Aug 22 18:16:24 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I think technically, the answer to that is "yes", you will automatically
> get access to the source repo.

At the moment, the answer actually is "no". For the projects repository,
there is no group write permission - you must be pythondev in order to
write.

> The question I have is whether you
> /should/ access the source repo that way, or use the shared pythondev
> account.  Two unknowns for me are 1) will there be permission problems
> that either prevent you from doing this, or once you've committed a
> change, will screw pythondev-access?;

Yes to the former. The webserver has only read access to the (projects)
repository.

> 2) when we finally get email
> notifications worked in, will it still look like your commit is coming
> from the right place.

Not sure what "the right place" would be: pythondev at python.org?
I think the email could look any way we want it to look.

> They are the same machine, with different IP addresses.  Anonymous
> webdav will require two Apache processes, since different user/groups
> are needed

Not necessarily. The repository could be world-readable, in which case
"nobody" could access it.

> and to support different certs for svn.python.org and
> (eventually) www.python.org.

Ah. I think anonymous read access should be on port 80.

Regards,
Martin