[Python-Dev] Admin access using svn+ssh

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Aug 22 17:25:33 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>>Barry:
>>>Martin:

>>>I'm confused again; are you saying that we should have a host named
>>>pythondev.python.org?  I'm not sure that's necessary.
>>
>> No, pythondev is simply an SSH alias for dinsdale -- the server knows
>> nothing about it.  I don't quite understand the "User pythondev" line,
>> though -- I think that's a mistake.
>
> That's intentional. "ssh pythondev" now becomes equivalent to
>
> ssh -l pythondev -i ~/.ssh/pythondev dinsdale.python.org
>
> IOW, the User option is equivalent to specifying the -l option.

Yes, I know -- but it looks like a mistake to me.  Are you saying that
all shell access will be done through a single account?  Isn't that a
huge security risk?  My understanding was that it was SVN access that
would be going through a single account, not shell access.

The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
loosely-couple the hell out of everything.