[Python-Dev] PEP 309: Partial method application

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:05:17 CEST 2005

On 8/18/05, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:

> > Oh, when should we think of putting reduce into functional?  I
> > remember this was discussed when it was realized reduce was the only
> > functional built-in that is not covered by itertools or listcomps.
>
> I expected functional.map, functional.filter and functional.reduce to all
> exist in 2.5.

Itertools covers map, filter is covered by genexps.  'reduce' is the
only one that does not have an equivalent anywhere.  I guess we could
cross-link itertools.map into functional.map, but I would rather just
mention in the docs of one that it is located in the other module.
And filter is just not worth it; that can definitely be covered in the
docs of the module.

-Brett