[Python-Dev] Deprecating builtin id (and moving it to, sys())

Paul F. Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Thu Aug 18 05:05:32 CEST 2005

-1 for this proposal from me. I use id some and therefore the change
would break some of my code. Breaking existing code without some
overwhelming reason is a very bad idea, in my opinion. The reason cited
here, that the name is so natural that one is tempted to use it, applies
to many builtins. Ever written dict = {} and then said to yourself, gee,
that isn't a very good idea? I have.

Besides that, the fact that an object has an identity, behaviors, and
data is primary. For teaching beginners id() is important.

Paul