[Python-Dev] Exception Reorg PEP revised yet again

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 03:44:05 CEST 2005

[Brett]
> I can compromise to this if others prefer this alternative.  Anybody
> else have an opinion?

We're not opinion shopping -- we're looking for analysis.  Py3.0 is not
supposed to just a Python variant -- it is supposed to be better.  It is
not about making compromises -- it is about only making changes that are
clear improvements.  First, do no harm.

It is an abuse of the PEP process to toss up one random idea after
another with whimsical justifications, zero research, zero analysis of
the implications, no respect for existing code, no recognition that the
current design is somewhat successful, and contravention of basic design
principles (Zen of Python).

The only thing worse is wasting everyone's time by sticking to the
proposals like glue when others take the time to think it through and
offer sound reasons why the proposal is not a good idea.

[Aahz]
> Googling for "windowserror python" produces 800 hits.  So yes, it does
> seem to be widely used.  I'm -0 on renaming; +1 on leaving things
as-is.

Well said.  Squirreling WindowsError away in another namespace harms
existing code, reduces clarity, and offers no offsetting gains.  It is
simply crummy design to take a multi-module, multi-application exception
and push it down into a module namespace.

+0 on renaming; +1 on leaving as-is.

Raymond