[Python-Dev] Exception Reorg PEP revised yet again

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Thu Aug 11 01:45:40 CEST 2005

> > Then I don't follow what you mean by "moved under os".
>
> In other words, to get the exception, do ``from os import
> WindowsError``.  Unfortunately we don't have a generic win module to
> put it under.  Maybe in the platform module instead?

-1 on either.  The WindowsError exception needs to in the main exception
tree.  It occurs in too many different modules and applications.  That
is a good reason for being in the main tree.

If the name bugs you, I would support renaming it to PlatformError or
somesuch.  That would make it free for use with Mac errors and Linux
errors.  Also, it wouldn't tie a language feature to the name of an MS
product.

Raymond