[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Aug 9 00:49:12 CEST 2005

One feature I like in Perforce (which Subversion doesn't have) is the
ability to have pending changesets. A changeset is, as with subversion,
something you check-in atomically. Pending changesets in Perforce allow
you to (1) group related files in a source tree where you might be
working on multiple things at once to ensure and (2) to build a change
description as you go. In a large source tree this can be useful for
separating chunks of work.

There are other little things, like not being able to trim the check-in
filelist when editing the check-in message.  For example, say you have
10 files checked out scattered around the Python source tree and you
want to check 9 of those in. Currently with svn you have to manually
specify those 9 to be sure to not include the remaining one. With p4 you
just say to check-in the whole tree and then remove that one from the
list give you in your editor with entering the check-in message. Not
that big of a deal.

[Martin v. L?wis on Perforce]
> The biggest disadvantage, to me, is that few people know how
> to use it (myself included).

Granted. For that reason and for a couple of others I mentioned (SVN
will probably work better for offline and distributed developers) I
think Subversion wins over Perforce. That is presuming, of course, that
we find Subversion to be acceptibly stable/robust/manageble.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com