[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 8 05:51:49 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 21:52, Nicholas Bastin wrote:

> I've had enough corrupted subversion repositories that I'm
> not crazy about the thought of using it in a production system.  I
> know I'm not the only person with this experience.  Sure, you can keep
> backups, and not really lose any work, but we're moving over because
> we have uptime and availability problems, so lets not just create them
> again.

Has anyone experienced svn corruptions with the fsfs backend?  I
haven't, across quite a few repositories.

> Uh, the Python community.  Which is currently hosting a subversion
> repository, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine that
> p4.python.org could exist just as easily.

Unfortunately, I don't think "we" (meaning specifically the collective
python.org admins) have much if any operational experience with
Perforce.  We do with Subversion though and that's a big plus.  If "we"
were to host a Perforce repository, we'd need significant commitments
from several somebodies to get things set up, keep it running, and help
socialize long-term institutional knowledge amongst the other admins.

We'd also have to teach the current crop of developers how to use the
client tools effectively.  I think it's fairly simple to teach a CVS
user how to use Subversion, but have no idea if translating CVS
experience to Perforce is as straightforward.

-Barry