[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 7 15:47:49 CEST 2005

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> BTW, in one of your replies I read that you had a problem with
> how cvs2svn handles trunk, branches and tags. In reality, this
> is no problem at all, since Subversion is very good at handling
> moves within the repository: you can easily change the repository
> layout after the import to whatevery layout you see fit - without
> losing any of the version history.

Yes, however, I recall that some clients have problems with displaying
history across renames (in particular, I believe viewcvs has this
problem); also, it becomes difficult to refer to an old version by
path name, since the old versions had all different path names.

Jim Fulton has suggested a different approach: cvs2svn can create
a dump file, and svnadmin load accepts a parent directory. Then,
no renames are necessary.

Regards,
Martin