[Python-Dev] Major revision of PEP 348 committed

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:24:21 CEST 2005

Brett Cannon wrote:
> * SystemExit are the KeyboardInterrupt are the only exceptions *not*
> inheriting from Exception
>     + CriticalException has been renamed TerminalException so it is
> more inline with the idea that the exceptions are meant to terminate
> the interpreter, not that they are more critical than other exceptions

I like TerminalException, although TerminatingException may be less ambiguous.
("There's nothing wrong with my terminal, you moronic machine!")

> This version addresses everyone's worries about
> backwards-compatibility or changes that were not substantive enough to
> break code.

Well, I think you said from the start that the forces of
backwards-compatibility would get you eventually ;)

> The things I did on my own without thorough discussion is remove
> ControlFlowException and introduce VMError.

+1 on the former.
-1 on the latter.

Same reasons as Raymond, basically. These exceptions are builtins, so let's
not add new ones without a strong use case.

Anyway, this is starting to look pretty good (but then, I thought that a few
days ago, too).

Cheers,
Nick.