[Python-Dev] Syscall Proxying in Python

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 3 03:22:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:59, Gabriel Becedillas wrote:
> Donovan Baarda wrote:
[...]
> > Wow... you guys sure did it the hard way. If you had done it at the
> > Python level, you would have had a much easier time of both implementing
> > and updating it.
[...]
> Hi, thanks for your reply.
> The problem I see with the aproach you're sugesting is that I have to
> rewrite a lot of code to make it work the way I want. We allready have
> the syscall proxying stuff with an stdio layer on top of it. I should
> have to rewrite some parts of some modules and use my own versions of
> stdio functions, and that is pretty much the same as we have done before.
> There are also native objects that use stdio functions, and I should
> replace those ones too, or modules that have some native code that uses
> stdio, or sockets. I should duplicate those files, and make the same
> kind of search/replace work that we have done previously and that we'd
> like to avoid.
> Please let me know if I misunderstood you.

Nope... you got it all figured out. I guess it depends on what degree of
"proxying" you want... I thought there was some stuff you wanted
re-directed, and some you didn't. The point is, you _can_ do this at the
Python level, and you only have to modify Python code, not C Python
source.

However, if you want to proxy everything, then the glib wrapper is
probably the best approach, provided you really want to code in C and
have your own Python binary.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>