[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue Aug 2 02:21:16 CEST 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 13:00, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I'd like to see the Python source be stored in Subversion instead
> of CVS,

I'm +1 on this, assuming we use the fsfs backend, and not the berkeley
DB one. I'm -1 if we're using the bdb backend (I've had nothing but
pain from it).

> CVS has a number of limitations that have been elimintation by
> Subversion. For the development of Python, the most notable improvements
> are:
> - ability to rename files and directories, and to remove directories,
>   while keeping the history of these files.
> - support for change sets (sets of correlated changes to multiple
>   files) through global revision numbers.
> - support for offline diffs, which is useful when creating patches.

- tagging for releases will no longer cause the release manager to
experience fits of burning rage (personal record was something like
1h45m for 'cvs tag' to finish, from memory).

My only concern is that we have sufficient volunteers to manage the
system. I'm happy to be one of these, but that's assuming we have other
people also volunteering. . .

Anthony