[Python-Dev] noob question regarding the interpreter

Jing Su gargamel.su at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:47:18 CEST 2005

Hello,

I know this is a n00b question, so I apologize ahead of time.

I've been taking a look at they python interpreter, trying to understand how
it works on the compiled byte-codes. Looking through the sources of the
2.4.1 stable version, it looks like Python/ceval.c is the module that does
the main dispatch. However, it looks like a switched interpreter. I just
find this surprising because python seems to run pretty fast, and a switched
interpreter is usually painfully slow.

Is there work to change python into a direct-threaded or even JIT'ed
interpreter? Has there been previous discussion on this topic? I'd greatly
appreciate any pointers to discussions on this topic. Thus far my google-fu
has not turned up fruitful hits.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Jing