[Python-Dev] Re: anonymous blocks

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at strakt.com
Thu Apr 28 10:51:32 CEST 2005

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> And surely you exaggerate.  How about this then:
>>
>>     The with-statement is similar to the for-loop.  Until you've
>>     learned about the differences in detail, the only time you should
>>     write a with-statement is when the documentation for the function
>>     you are calling says you should.
>

> I think perhaps I'm not expressing myself very well.
> What I'm after is a high-level explanation that actually
> tells people something useful, and *doesn't* cop out by
> just saying "you're not experienced enough to understand
> this yet".

this makes sense to me, also because a new control statement
will not be usually as hidden as metaclasses and some other possibly
obscure corners can be. OTOH I have the impression that the new toy is
too shiny to have a lucid discussion whether it could have sharp edges
or produce dizziness for the unexperienced.