[Python-Dev] Re: anonymous blocks

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Apr 28 08:33:20 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> And surely you exaggerate.  How about this then:
>
>     The with-statement is similar to the for-loop.  Until you've
>     learned about the differences in detail, the only time you should
>     write a with-statement is when the documentation for the function
>     you are calling says you should.

I think perhaps I'm not expressing myself very well.
What I'm after is a high-level explanation that actually
tells people something useful, and *doesn't* cop out by
just saying "you're not experienced enough to understand
this yet".

If such an explanation can't be found, I strongly suspect
that this doesn't correspond to a cohesive enough concept
to be made into a built-in language feature. If you can't
give a short, understandable explanation of it, then it's
probably a bad idea.

Greg