[Python-Dev] threading (GilState) question

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Apr 10 17:22:15 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> Is there a good reason to *not* call PyEval_InitThreads when using a
> threaded Python?

Well, it depends how expensive ones OS's locking primitives are, I
think.  There were some numbers posted to the twisted list recently
that showed it didn't make a whole lot of difference on some platform
or other... I don't have the knowledge or the courage to make that
call.

> Sounds like it would just be easier to implicitly call it during
> Py_Initialize some day.

That might indeed be simpler.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The gripping hand is really that there are morons everywhere, it's
  just that the Americon morons are funnier than average.