[Python-Dev] PEP 334 - Simple Coroutines via SuspendIteration

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Thu Sep 30 18:32:37 CEST 2004

> It is important to note that Ruby, Parrot (next-generation Perl),
> and SML-NJ all support this async programming style.  In Python

For those of us who aren't current on the latest happenings of Ruby,
Parrot and SML/NJ, it may be convenient for us to hear precisely how
"async programming style" is done in those languages, so we have a
reference, and so that we can agree (or disagree) with you about whether
they are equivalent to your PEP.

It would also be nice if you were to do a bit of research on the
internals of those languages, to discover how it is actually implemented.
This would allow Python interpreter hackers to say, "Yes, that kind of
thing is possible," "Maybe with a bit of work," "It is not possible with
the current interpreter," or even "It wouldn't be usable on Jython."

With that said, I believe there is a general consensus that this kind of
thing would be useful.  For me, if I had greenlets everywhere I'd be
happy (though I understand that this may not be technically possible on
Jython).

 - Josiah