[Python-Dev] using openssh's pty code

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 28 07:13:17 CEST 2004

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> If he's going to copy/base his work on openssh, the openssh license
> must surely be respected.

I wasn't suggesting literal copying, but rewriting the C code in
Python.

> FWIW, that's the issue I was talking about when we discussed the
> contributor agreement in the PSF list, regarding inclusion of code
> with foreign licenses. In this occasion, you said a contributor
> must not include code not authored by him, and cannot sign an
> agreement on such code.

Yes, and I still stand to this. A contributor can, of course, suggest
that code with a different license is included, explaining what the
consequences of doing so would be, and why we are then permitted to
still distribute the derived work in the way we want.

As this typically involves putting some sort of notice in some place,
I'm concerned that the list of notices grows longer and longer over
time, and becomes unmanagable for us. So a solution of the original
author contributing the code with permission to distribute it under
our own licenses is much preferable.

Regards,
Martin