[Python-Dev] python.sty conflict with \newcommand\url

Neal D. Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 21:59:44 CEST 2004

I hope this is the correct place to post this question.

I'm trying to use python.sty to write some doc for my modules.  If I try to
use \hyperref package, I get this:
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/html/url.sty

! LaTeX Error: Command \url already defined.
               Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

This is what python.sty says:

% Use this def/redef approach for \url{} since hyperref defined this
already,
% but only if we actually used hyperref:
\ifpdf
  \newcommand{\url}[1]{{%

The comment suggest a workaround for hyperref, but it doesn't look like the
code actually matches the comment.  Any ideas?