[Python-Dev] Re: URL processing conformance and principles (was Re: urllib.urlopen...)

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Sep 19 16:03:53 CEST 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Mike Brown wrote:
[...]
> Tightening up the conformance issues meant that we needed to help users
> produce valid URIs from filesystem paths and vice-versa. Once again, the core
> Python libs were of little use -- pathname2url and url2pathname are
> platform-dependent, and are so full of bugs^H^H^H^Hfeatures that I had to
> start from scratch and roll my own functions. I think what I've got at this
> point would make great additions to urllib2, but I'll save them for another
> day...

You must be worn out after those posts :-), but:

Would certainly be nice to have some more compliant, perhaps less
forgiving functions for those tasks, so +1 for adding your OsPathToUri()
and UriToOsPath() somewhere in the stdlib.  Maybe urllib2 is as good a
place as any.  I suppose somebody knowledgeable about both Macs and URIs
must volunteer to do the Mac work first, though.

John