[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Alternative Implementation for PEP292: SimpleString Substitutions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Sep 13 23:29:24 CEST 2004

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>> (I suppose it's too late for 2.4, but it would probably be a good
>> idea to switch to this algorithm in 2.5)
>
> Here's a reference that might be interesting for you:
>
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/boldi02compact.html
>
> They use statistical approaches to dealing with the problem of
> large alphabets. Their motivation is making Java's Unicode string
> implementation faster... sounds familiar, eh :-)

thanks for the reference.  but I have to admit that I found the following
paper by the same authors to be more interesting ...

    http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/boldi03rethinking.html

... both because they've looked into efficient designs for mutable strings,
and because of how they use a 32-bit "bloom filter" hashed by the least
significant bits in the Unicode characters...  oh well, there are never any
new ideas ;-)

</F>