[Python-Dev] Re: Missing arguments in RE functions

Nicolas Fleury nidoizo at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 19:28:35 CEST 2004

Erik Heneryd wrote:
> compile() doesn't have that many additional parameters, just the
> optional flags.  OTOH the regex object methods do (both mandatory and
> optional).  Wouldn't it be stupid to insert the pattern in the middle of
> the method parameters?

Just a last post to end the debate.  I agree with you.  I looked at the
API and I think my suggestion was wrong.  I think my basic instinct was
due to the fact that I made a lot of Perl and that I use mostly only
match/search/sub with only pattern flags.  Since there's no really
intuitive way to mix two APIs with mandatory and optional arguments, and
also that using pattern objects is the way to go, I'm now -1 with the
patch.  Sorry to have not understood alone, if anyone wants to continue
the discussion, I will do it privately.
Regards,
Nicolas