[Python-Dev] Re: Missing arguments in RE functions

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Sep 10 19:42:47 CEST 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 10:21:25AM -0700, Michael Chermside wrote:
> (as Noam showed, the docs describe the
> functions then say the compiled REs work "just the same"),

This fact is just a historical accident, because I initially wrote the
docs for the re module starting with the functions and then moving on
to the methods.  I can restructure the docs to make regex objects
paramount.  (The Regex HOWTO takes this approach; the module-level
functions are mentioned in only one section, and not used outside of
that section.)

--amk