[Web-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Adding status code constants to httplib

Andrew Eland andrew at andreweland.org
Fri Sep 10 17:46:44 CEST 2004

Alan Kennedy wrote:

> And that mapping has 2 levels of human readable messages on it, for example
> 304: ('Not modified', 'Document has not changed singe given time'),
> I think that, since the human readable versions are seldom heeded
> anyway, perhaps a single message is all we need?

A simple move would mean we'd have to keep both, for backwards
compatability. I guess BaseHTTPRequestHandler could mix its long
messages in with those in a httplib table, but it sounds ugly.

> And I'm -1 on forcing servers, particularly CGI servers, to import the
> client-side httplib (2.3 httplib.pyc == 42K) just to get this mapping.

I think the number of people who wouldn't import httplib on
speed/process size grounds is very small. If they're that worried about
efficiency, they could copy and paste the table, and manage the extra
development complexity.

   -- Andrew