[Python-Dev] Re: Missing arguments in RE functions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Sep 10 03:29:27 CEST 2004

Noam Raphael wrote:
> This is why I didn't even know, until I made my research before sending my message to python-dev,
> that you could match from a given start position - I studied the page documenting the functions,
> because I didn't want on an early stage to bother my students with the fact that REs are first
> compiled and then applied, and I didn't find any mention of the start position option.

the "I didn't prepare properly, didn't know what I was talking about,
and didn't know what do answer when my students asked me a legitimate
question" argument isn't a good reason to change the language.

if you're doing Python training, make sure you know your Python.  I do,
and I very seldom have problems explaining how things work.

</F>