[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Missing arguments in RE functions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 8 20:04:42 CEST 2004

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>> > I've need both of these more than once.
>>
>> any reason you why you cannot type "re.compile(p).match(...)" ?
>
> That is what I usually do and that is the approach taken by the patch.
>
> If you see a downside, feel free to reject his patch.  IMO, it is only a
> small win.

If it's up to me, it's a clear "not worth it".  The function API is only there for
trivial cases; if you need the full RE power, use pattern objects (you have
to use them anyway if you're serious about RE:s).

but I'm an API minimalist; someone else will have to make the final decision
on this one (Guido, what's your take on API size issues?)

</F>