[Python-Dev] Subversion, Codeville

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Wed Sep 8 01:37:18 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:06:59PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 04:51 pm, Martin v. L?wis wrote:
>  > What *is* the disadvantage of Berkeley DB that the file storage of
>  > svn 1.1 will remove? One of the things that you could do in CVS that
>  > you can't easily do because of the DB approach is to ultimately
>  > remove a file, along with its entire history (by removing the ,v file).
>  > Along with that goes the option of moving part of a repository into
>  > another repository.
>
> I'm not concerned with people deliberately hosing their repositories; they
> shouldn't do that.
>
> The advantage I see is that we won't have to deal with hosed databases having
> to be "recovered" to make the Subversion server useful again.
>
> I certainly agree with Jp's comments about how databases are used, but as long
> as the server is working, that's less of an issue for me.

agreed, if someone else makes it work i don't care so much how.  I was
pretty shocked at svn's use of berkeleydb for the reasons others have
already hashed out here.

to fuel a fire:  given that its written in python i'd suggest codeville
as a cvs replacement.  Its in very early development but i'll bet by the
time anyone actually bothers to take the plunge away from tried-and-true
cvs rather than just talk about it, it won't be.  i expect to be shot
down for this suggestion. ;)

>  > Neither is either with svn because of the DB thing. However, I
>  > understand that it won't become simpler with the file storage, either,
>  > as the files being created don't directly correlate to files of the
>  > versions file system. So you still can't delete a single file with all
>  > of its history, nor can you move just a part of the repository.

There should -never- be a reason to remove the entire proof of a files
past existence from a repository (unless you live in 1984).  disk space
is effectively free.

-g