[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Alternative Implementation forPEP 292:SimpleStringSubstitutions

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Sep 6 19:42:12 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> You always have to take both into account. I was just saying that
> 8-bit strings don't buy you much in terms of performance over Unicode
> these days, so the only argument against using Unicode would be
> doubled memory usage.

Only if one sticks with the 2-byte Unicode implementation; you can
compile Python with 4-byte Unicode (and I seem to recall that at least
one standard distribution does exactly that).

> Of course, this is a rather mild argument given the problems you face
> when trying to localize applications - which I see as the main use
> case for templates.

If I18N is intended to be the primary/only use case of templates, then
the PEP needs to be updated.  It would also explain some of the
disagreement about the implementation.

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes