[Python-Dev] Alternative Implementation for PEP 292: SimpleString Substitutions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 3 17:38:52 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 01:48, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> By not inheriting from unicode, the bug can be fixed while retaining a
> class implementation (see sandbox\curry292.py for an example).
>
> But, be clear, it *is* a bug.
>
> If all the inputs are strings, Unicode should not magically appear.  See
> all the other string methods as an example.

But the Template classes aren't string methods, so I don't think the
analogy is quite right.  Because the template string itself is by
definition a Unicode, it actually makes more sense that everything its
mod operator returns is also a Unicode.  So I still don't think it's a
bug.

> Someday, all will be
> Unicode, until then, some apps choose to remain Unicode free.  Also,
> there is a build option to not even compile Unicode support -- it would
> be a bummer to have the $ templates fail as a result.

Maybe.  Like the doctor says, well, don't do that!  (i.e. use Templates
and disable unicode).

-Barry