[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Modules threadmodule.c, 2.56, 2.56.8.1

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 05:52:52 CEST 2004

[Martin v. Löwis]
> Channelling Anthony (Baxter), this cannot be accepted for 2.3.
> It would allow for code that works on 2.3.5, but fails on 2.3.4.
> What's worse, the extension module can be built on 2.3.5, and
> the binary module will fail when run on 2.3.4, as importing the
> CAPI object would fail.

That is a strong argument, and you're right that "the rules" don't
allow it.  OTOH, unlike Jeremy's True/False example, this is an
obscure piece of C with only one known user in the world (Anthony
wrote the datetime C API patch, and Anthony wrote the Oracle wrapper
which is the datetime C API's only known user).  So an opposing
"practicality beats purity" argument *could* apply too.  I'm not going
to make it myself, because I personally have no use for the C datetime
API <wink>.