[Python-Dev] RE: logging needs better documentation

Vinay Sajip at Red Dove vinay_sajip at red-dove.com
Fri Oct 29 13:17:41 CEST 2004

Hi Neal,

I quite agree that the documentation for the logging package can be improved. As others have said in response to your post, you can definitely help by indicating more specifically where you find the documentation lacking, with a patch if possible. For example, your initial post about the length prefix for pickles is documented in the docstring for SocketHandler.makePickle():

"Pickles the record in binary format with a length prefix, and returns it ready for transmission across the socket."

I agree that the documentation does not mention specifically that the length is encoded as four bytes, or that it is packed using struct.pack(), or exactly how you unpack it. I also agree that more examples would be helpful. I will endeavour to improve the situation insofar as time allows. Patches and specific suggestions from users, especially new users like you, will be a definite help to me.

Best Regards,

Vinay Sajip