[Python-Dev] logging needs better documentation

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Oct 28 18:43:40 CEST 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 08:34 am, Neal D. Becker wrote:
 > There is only a single example in the logging module documentation.
 > Please add more examples!

If you'd like to provide some that would have helped you, please pass them
along.

 > I'm trying to use DatagramHandler.  The documentation on this is not
 > adequate.  There is a confusing mention of makeLogRecord.  No example.
 >
 > I finally stumbled across this:
 >
 >         data, address = sock.recvfrom (8192)
 >         rec = logging.makeLogRecord (pickle.loads(data[4:]))
 >
 > I can't find _anywhere_ a mention that you need to leave off the first 4
 > bytes in order for unpickle to work.

Regardless of whether you have time to provide specific documentation patches,
a bug report should be filed describing this omission and providing any
specific suggestions you can make about improvements you'd like to see.

Documentation bug reports can be filed in the Python bug tracker:

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>