[Python-Dev] bsddb todo for someone - auto-upgrade db format

Oleg Broytmann phd at mail2.phd.pp.ru
Thu Oct 28 13:39:48 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 06:21:45AM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Oleg> What's db_upgrade()?
>
> It's a program that comes with recent versions of Berkeley DB to upgrade
> files written in older formats to the current format (the format associated
> with the version of db_upgrade being run).

   So it has to be distributed with Python.

   I am very nervous about automagically running a program in the
background upon catching a data format exception in bsddb module. What
if the program fails? Where the module will put its stderr?
popen+raise FormatError(caught_error_string)?

   I am in favour of including the program in the Python distribution
(if its license allows inclusion) but not to run it automatically. This
is the job for an application, not for the bsddb module.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru