[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Thu Oct 28 10:40:01 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:23:28PM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:41:30 +0200, Gerhard Haering <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > If you are just after a "usable database driver", then I have to
> > > agree with Skip: any of the other available drivers would fit in
> > > just as well. Please clarify this.
> >
> > I'm aiming at a usable DB-API implementation in the stdlib that does
> > not need a server. I want Python to have an RDBMS interface that works
> > OOTB, no administration required. SQLite seems the obvious choice to
> > me, haven't looked at Gadfly in a while, and MySQLdb/MySQL embedded
> > (GPL) has licensing issues (and adds megabytes to the Python binary
> > download, instead of ca. 270 kB uncompressed as for SQLite).
>
> I'm +1 on including PySQLite in the core. It would fit in the same
> space as Berkeley DB, *not* client-server databases like MySQL,
> PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc. However, it conforms to 2 important
> standards, SQL and the Python DB API, where Berkeley DB does not.

Agreed.  Hopefully including it would encourage the random people who have
found the undocumented bsddb.dbtables module to use something saner. :)

Along the same lines of including PySQLite it'd also be nice to
consider a good database object abstraction module such as SqlObject
(http://sqlobject.sf.net/).  Anything to encourage people -not- to write
raw SQL inline in their code is a good thing (and makes the app much
more readable and even more portable as SQL is only partially so).

> I don't think that the issue of batteries included vs easier package
> installation is relevant here - at the moment, Python *is* "batteries
> included".

Also agreed.  I personally think the pysqlite module bundled would get
more use by more people than bsddb.

-g